Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equalizers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equalizers

    I know that compound turbos can be very rewarding. So, I need more bass, well not really, but I still want more. I now have the EQ set up nice, but also have to crank up the Bass knob on the amp. How about an Eq in series plugged into another EQ?
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equali

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    I know that compound turbos can be very rewarding. So, I need more bass, well not really, but I still want more. I now have the EQ set up nice, but also have to crank up the Bass knob on the amp. How about an Eq in series plugged into another EQ?
    I would guess it would be like using a "loudness" button with bass boosted.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equalizers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equali

    Probably just clip the hell out of your amp. 20 db is 100x power. 2 EQ's could be 24 dB or maybe 300 times.
    If 12 dB don't fix it get a sub.

    Parametrics are better, you can move the boost point around.

    into DIY?

    Parametric and Sub-Woofer Equaliser
    Last edited by Old Guy; June 23rd, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equalizers


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equali

    +3 Way too much boost.Distortion 100 % with that much boost with any kind of volume me thinks....

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equalizers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equali

    I'd disagree about 3 dB being too much...my amps would be no issue. I have an 80 pound 1100 W/ch AB Systems from the old days doing nothing. I think EQ is personal taste. But yes, AB, many do EQ beyond what they can safely do, and it sounds like pure crap.

    Back in college a roommate discovered a particular seasoning and overloaded everything with it all the time. After a couple weeks we were ready to draw straws on who had to shoot him. Overdo the spices and you can't taste the food. Overdo the EQ you can't hear natural music. Fix the problem with good equipment, don't put a band aid on it.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equali

    Just get a good old time SS Amp like a 2230 Marantz and rid yourself of all your troubles. You'll be so much more happier. Run your EQ through the Tape loop monitor and you'll be able to shift your house off it's foundation.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equali

    Ok, have the two EQ's hooked up and the bass turned to neutral on the 100wpc Technics 5.1 amp. I like. Just before, I finally for the first time in my life, turned all of the EQ sliders to -12db and only cranked up the band centered at 25Hz. I could not hear any difference between -12db and +12. Go figure. With both EQ's, I have everything flat except for +8db centered @ 40Hz and +8db @ 16KHz with both gains at about 3:00 and the volume knob on the amp at about 1:00 which is high for me. Bass is nice and crisp, and I can actually hear the cow bell now.

    How do I run the volume knobs on these things, I have never had so many gain controls before? Should the receiver be running full bore and every thing else turned down to taste? How about the Sony Walkman CD player? When I had the Staxs preamp and Crown DC300A power amp system, I had the gain on the Crown at 100% and used the Staxs for volume level.

    Should I have the pretty blue light bulbs on the two Radio Shack EQ's doing a nice Jig?

    Edit) Am listening to Return to Forever; Romantic Warrior and just have one Piezo per speaker hooked up, but have 6 more sitting on the shelf ready if need be.
    Last edited by VolvoHeretic; July 3rd, 2012 at 07:08 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equali

    Hmm... just sent the 100wpc amp into clipping and cut out mode. With Altec's... but all is still all well... Not bad for a guitar speaker? Next is to turn on the Casio Electric Piano.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equalizers


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: (OT)Compound turbochargers. Ops, I meant compound equali

    Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    Just before, I finally for the first time in my life, turned all of the EQ sliders to -12db and only cranked up the band centered at 25Hz. I could not hear any difference between -12db and +12. Go figure.
    With essentially nothing there, no amount of EQ is gonna make a difference. Musical instrument speakers don't do 25 Hz. On the clipping, watch out your speaker may suddenly quit working. I suggest this read...

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...rgDecw&cad=rja
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.